California Pharmacy Ethics and Professionalism (PE-22)Back
This course is California Board approved to meet the Title 16, California Code of Regulations (CCR) section 1773.5 requirements (or 16 CCR - 1358.1). If you are not licensed in California, see our one-day or two-day ethics courses which are applicable for all licensed pharmacists outside of California.
Although all clinicians are at risk for lapses in ethical or professional conduct, some issues are unique to pharmacists. This course was designed by a forensic pharmacist to present these unique topics against a background of other areas of common professional concern. In an intensive two-day curriculum, participants learn about topics such as the legal and regulatory framework in which they function, corresponding responsibility, and a pharmacist-specific professional identity that can predispose to problematic conduct. They then weave that information into a Personalized Protection Plan to elevate their accountability and prevent recidivism.
- Pre-course component: Online readings and assignments totaling eight hours
- Live component: Two days totaling 14 hours
- Completion documentations distributed upon successful completion of course at the end of day two
- Post-course component: Optional follow-up material will be sent via email at six and twelve month intervals.
Professions this Course is suitable for
California licensed pharmacists, PIC's, pharmacy managers, and pharmacy executives.
This Course Addresses Issues such as
- Bending or breaking laws or rules
- Noncompliance with orders/deadlines
- Driving under the influence (DUI/DWI)
- Financial improprieties
- Inappropriate invoicing
- HIPAA or confidentiality violations
- Inaccurate or inappropriate advertising
- Lying or omission of information
- Practicing on an expired license
- Define the concept of professionalism as it relates to pharmacists
- Identify unique risk factors that create legal, regulatory, and risk management issues for pharmacists
- Discuss the important statutes and regulations that govern the practice of pharmacy, how and why they were created, and what boards of pharmacy do to enforce them
- Identify how and why pharmacists enter the legal/regulatory system
- Define the concept of unprofessional and unethical conduct
- Identify and define violation potentials for ethical issues utilizing the Formula©
- Create a personal Protection Plan to maintain professional ethics and safeguard against ethics violations
Professional Boundaries, Inc. is an accredited provider of continuing education courses for pharmacy professionals under the requirements of California Accreditation for Pharmacy Education and the California Board of Pharmacy. CAPE PROVIDER #217
California Accreditation for Pharmacy Education and the California Board of Pharmacy designates these live activities each for a maximum of 22 PRA Category 1 Credits™. Pharmacists should claim only the credit commensurate with extent of their participation in the activity.
This activity is in compliance with California Assembly Bill 1195, which requires continuing medical education activities with patient care components to include curriculum in the subjects of cultural and linguistic competency. For specific information regarding Bill 1195 and definitions of cultural and linguistic competency, please visit the CPE website at www.cpha.com/cape.
"I love this course. I came in with a very negative attitude, I was anxious, worried that I will be judged and condemned by the instructors and by my peers. I came away feeling rewarded, positive and with help that I can use to aid me in my future...GRATEFUL for all you do and all the assistance you rendered. THANK YOU."
"PBI is one of the best things to happen to me. It has provided me with a mechanism to view myself and my behaviors from another perspective entirely. I wish I had been more self-aware. I firmly believe that had I taken these courses preemptively, my transgressions might never have happened. I cannot recommend PBI highly enough to other professionals."
Other course options you may be interested in