The Complete Professional (DR-2)Back
Note: This self-paced, online course is not remedial in nature and not intended to fulfill a regulator-ordered course requirement. Click here for the remedial boundaries course.
This preventative risk management course is based on the premise that all clinicians have the potential to commit an ethics or boundary violation, but that all violations are avoidable. Through interactive content, participants learn how to reduce their own potential for committing a violation and to recognize red flags in themselves and others. This course culminates with the development of a Personalized Protection Plan that will assist clinicians in upholding the ethical and professional obligations of their profession.
Choose an Edition
- Physicians, dentists, veterinarians, chiropractors, PhD's, and other clinicians serving in a supervisory role or as "captain of the ship".
- DR-2 Non-Doctoral
- For PA, RN, PT, NP, MSW, LMFT, RT, EMT and other non-doctoral degreed clinicians
Self-paced online course combining online readings, interactive assignments, knowledge checks, and quizzes
This course covers topics such as:
- Non-sexual and sexual boundary violations
- Workplace relationships
- Improper professional conduct, harassment, and incivility
- Recognizing power imbalances
- Dual relationships
- Demonstrate appropriate clinical decision making by minimizing negative influences
- Adhere to professional boundaries with resultant improvements in physician-patient interaction, which can improve clinical outcomes
- Become aware of the early warning signs and personal risk factors indicative of ethical dilemmas and boundary problems
- Acquire a working understanding of the Formula© in order to reduce their own violation potential for ethical and policy transgressions
- Understand how to create their own individual Protection Plan to maintain appropriate boundaries
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education through the joint providership of the University of California, Irvine School of Medicine and Professional Boundaries, Inc. The University of California, Irvine School of Medicine is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The University of California, Irvine School of Medicine designates these live activities each for a maximum of 2 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in this activity.
"Really appreciated this course-wish it had been part of my medical school training and refreshed as well during my residency. And every 5 years thereafter!"
"This course has been VERY helpful. I only wish that it had been required early on in my career and think it should be prior to licensing. This will change my behavior... both personally and professionally."
"I feel like I am more aware of red flags and can set better boundaries with patients regarding cell phone and social media. I will try and be mindful of catalysts like crises at work and at home."
Other course options you may be interested in