Regulator Approved Remedial Courses, Hosted Live Virtually.
As a solution for regulatory agencies and organizations that want to ensure public safety by way of timely remedial interventions, we created the PBI Virtual Live Classroom®. Our mission is to protect the public by providing high quality continuing education for professionals in need. This is more attainable than ever through virtual remediation. Now professionals can take the course they need in a matter of weeks, instead of waiting months to travel. Our virtual courses are regulator-approved and used extensively as an equivalent to previously hosted in-person courses.
Regardless of the course format, we remain committed to delivering the same impactful and effective educational experiences that we have come to be internationally known for since 2001.
Virtual Course Demonstration
Rapid, Virtual Remediation Sparks Safer Practice
Read our poster “Immediacy Matters: The Case for Rapidly Deployed Remedial Education” presented at the 2021 Administrators in Medicine/Federation of State Medical Boards Joint Spotlight Poster Session.
Virtual Courses Equivalence to In-Person Courses
We consulted with experts in the field of distance learning to design a comprehensive set of internal procedures, along with confidentiality and etiquette policies, to meet the unique needs of participants fulfilling remedial and mandated educational requirements.
“I have used early intervention to correct minor violations of the regulations. At these meetings, we discuss our investigative findings and recommend CME’s. This has proven to be highly effective with minimal recidivism.”
“Given that … complaints are often significant with future patient harm a significant risk, there remains a priority need that a regulated member be able to access physician assessment and remediation in a near immediate fashion upon resolution of a complaint. . . . This is believed to translate into accelerated practice improvements, which therefore results in not only improved patient care but a reduced future risk of the individual physicians coming to the attention of their professional regulator.”
“I felt being in my home environment that I was more comfortable discussing my personal history. Even though we were not all in the same room physically, there was a sense of everyone being present, I did feel close to everyone.”
“I actually thought that the virtual element allowed me to engage more because of the focus being on each other and the instructor simultaneously. It kept me present with the others in the space and their reactions to one another’s narratives, as well as the information presented.”
“I actually think the live-virtual format was superior to in-person in allowing open and honest discussions as all participants were able to join for their location of choice which provided a degree of familiarity that would not have been present if we had been in-person at a centralized location. I gained a tremendous amount of respect, knowledge and appreciation of all participants and the Instructor in this session and will be seriously considering taking more PBI courses in the future.”
|Virtual Course||In-Person Course|
|CME, CE, or CPE accredited||X||X|
|Comprehensive pre-course assignments||X||X|
|Presentation of visual and audio-visual curricular content||X||X|
|Real-time feedback from faculty||X||X|
|1:1 private participant:faculty conversations whenever needed||X||X|
|Course workbook in-class activities and assignments||X||X|
|Intensive process of self-assessment and introspection||X||X|
|Breakout discussions among participants||X||X|
|Development of Personalized Protection Plan||X||X|
|Presentation of Protection Plan to group in peer-review activity||X||X|
|Participant involvement in group discussions and activities||X||X|
Our Procedures Ensure Impactful Remediation
Before a course begins:
- Eligibility: Eligibility requirements determine if a participant is able to take a virtual course based on their technology literacy and equipment.
- Individualized evaluations: We meet individually with each and every participant to ensure that they understand expectations for participation and engagement, their meeting location is private, and that they can navigate the technology.
- Identity verification: We confirm identify prior to the course and take an identify metric to ensure impersonation does not occur.
- Policies: Comprehensive course policies and etiquette help guide attendees on acceptable behaviors in the virtual environment. Attendees must read and agree to these prior to attending.
- Pre-course assignments: Mandatory pre-course assignments prepare students for the intensive and at times emotional work they will do during the course. They also equip faculty to facilitate the course by having a large amount of background information to tailor and individualize the instruction for those in the class.
The course experience:
- Participation and webcam requirements: Active, continuous engagement and participation with a webcam turned on is a mandatory requirement. Partial attendance or sub-par participation results in course failure.
- Small class format: Our small class format ensures group interaction and a personalized educational experience. Participants will not simply sit on a webinar and review slides.
- Faculty: Our faculty, each subject matter experts in their respective fields, are trained in distance learning best practices. They utilize many tools and strategies to enhance learning and focus heavily on initiating collaborative discussions and interactions.
- Agenda: Our agenda has been designed to incorporate the types of breaks and open discussions necessary to maintain endurance for the long course days.
- Privacy: We have mechanisms in place for private conversations between faculty and individual participants whenever needed.
- Support: Each course has an assigned production manager in place for the full duration of the meeting dedicated to assist participants with technology issues and to monitor attendance.
- Software security: Our software platform is encrypted and highly secure to ensure the confidentiality of our participants.
After a course concludes:
- Certificate distribution: Upon successful completion, attendees are sent their certificate immediately. No waiting for something in the mail or for a report to be submitted.
- Evaluations: Questions regarding the virtual course experience itself are included in the course evaluation. We use these data to continuously improve upon course delivery.
- Follow-up: Our six and twelve month follow-up system for specific courses remains unchanged. The follow-up process for the Extended Edition of our courses also remains unchanged. Participants are always welcome to attend our follow-up course, the Maintenance and Accountability Seminars, to continue their learning process after their course concludes.
- Resources: Participants have immediate access to post-course resources such as publications, worksheets, and blogs relevant to their course to help them refresh their memory and review material.